The Governor of Anambra State, Willie Obiano, have suspended twelve Anambra monarchs for visiting President Muhammadu Buhari last week without due consultation with the state government.
In a circular released on August 11, by the Commissioner for Local Government, Chieftaincy and Community Affairs, Mr. Greg Obi titled “Suspension of Twelve (12) Traditional Rulers in Anambra State”, it was gathered that the traditional rulers were suspended for embarking on a visit to President Muhammadu Buhari without consultation or approval from the state government.
The twelve suspended monarchs by Willie Obiano include;
- Igwe Alex Edozieuno of Mkpunando
- Igwe Mark Anthony Okonkwo of Alor
- Igwe Chukuwma Bob Vincent Orji of Ezinifite
- Igwe Engr G.B.C Mbakwe of Abacha
- Igwe Chijioke Nwankwo of Nawfia
- Igwe Nkeli Nelly of Igbariam
- Igwe Anthony Onyekwere of Owelle
- Igwe A. N Onwuneme of Ikenga
- Igwe Simon Ikechukwu Chidubem of Umumbo
- Igwe S. O Uche of Ezira
- Igwe Dr Emeka Ilouno of Ifitedunu
- Igwe Peter Ikegbunem Udoji of Eziagulu Otu.
The Obi of Onitsha, Alfred Achebe who is chairman of the Council in Anambra; Commissioner of Police and the State Director, Directorate of security services DSS were all copied in the suspension letter in which the monarchs were warned against parading themselves as traditional rulers and directed to stop discharging their functions in their communities.
The circular also had their membership of Anambra State Traditional Rulers Council revoked and every appointment in any government committee were also rescinded pending when the suspension is lifted.
The suspension may be lifted at the end of one year, renewed or upgraded in the intervening period depending on government’s review of the conduct of the traditional rulers.