The Ghanaian Government through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in a press release June 21, has promised to punished those involved in the demolition of the Nigerian High Commission in Accra.
SaharaReporters had earlier reported the demolition of the building by some unidentified armed men in Accra, the country’s capital on Friday.
According to the report, the building was being constructed in other to accommodate staff and visiting diplomats to the High Commission.
In a statement, Ghana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration said the incident was being investigated with the aim of bringing perpetrators to book.
Read the statement below…
“It has come to the attention of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration that unidentified individuals had allegedly breached the premises of the Nigeria High Commission in Accra and demolished its property under construction around 10:30pm on Friday, 19th June, 2020.
“The ministry views with concern this development which is a breach of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (VCDR. 1961).
“Accordingly, investigations are ongoing to unravel the facts of the matter and bring the perpetrators to book. Meanwhile, the Government of Ghana has beefed up security at the said facility and the situation is under control.
“Whilst expressing regrets over the incident, the ministry wishes to reassure the diplomatic community in Ghana and the Nigeria High Commission in particular, that Ghana remains a Iaw-abiding country that upholds the principle of the rule of law, where due process is followed at all times. The Government will, therefore, not relent on its primary obligation to guarantee the safety of members of the Diplomatic Corps in Ghana.”